Friday, March 26, 2010

Demonstration Speech Self Evaluation

For my Life Science Communication 100 course I recently gave a demonstration speech on how to make a breakfast sandwich. Our speeches were recorded and sent to us for self-evaluation.

The first thing I noticed when I watched the recording of my speech was the time constraint, or lack thereof. I should have extended the information presented in the speech regarding the nutritional benefits of eating breakfast and the nutritional aspects of the specific breakfast sandwich created. The information presented was interesting, but it could have been expanded upon for a more interesting presentation. The introduction and conclusion fit well together, but I could have memorized these aspects of the speech more thoroughly.

The breakdown of the steps involved in creating a breakfast sandwich was well organized and presented in a logical fashion. They were in the proper order and were presented thoroughly. The visual aids were appropriate. Displaying the majority of the utensils required to make a breakfast sandwich was visually captivating. Also, having a fully cooked breakfast sandwich displayed allowed for the audience to see the final product and visualize what I was demonstrating.

The volume, energy, enthusiasm, and visibility were adequate. I was interested in the presentation. However, there was an excessive amount of hand gestures and a few awkward eye contact moments throughout the speech that could be fixed in the future. I could have been better prepared for the speech in these regards. My body language seemed uncertain in a process that I am very used to doing.

If I would have to do this again, I would consider choosing the same topic, but I would make obvious changes to the presentation and content. I would expand upon my information and make it more creative and attention grasping.

No comments:

Post a Comment